I've finally started working on my "Pods" series again. The quilt on the left is the first and it is also part of my banner on this blog. The one on the right (WIP here) is my auction donation for SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Associates). I will have to make another one if possible to add to this series of pods. Tomorrow, I say goodbye to it and mail it to CT. As you can see in the background, I like to use the 3-in-1 Color Tool by Joen Wolfrom. It makes it so easy to find the right complementary color or plan a color scheme.
Here it is finished with the binding added. I used some of my recent hand dyed fabrics and some commercial fabrics. I found a really neat thread that seemed to pick up whatever color it was quilted on. It is Metler 60 wt, color 903 which is a lime green. I didn't discover it until I tried it on the last part I machine quilted which is the top part...the green, yellow and orange batik. Sounds crazy, but it shows as orange on the orange and green on the green and yellow on the yellow. I haven't tried other colors, yet, but I suppose it's simply the fact that it is a size 60 wt.
Thanks to all of those who left comments on my blog for the hand dyed fabrics! I really appreciate it! It's been a busy, busy time. Our little deck garden has already given us squash, zucchini, tomatoes, cucumbers, basil, mint, and bell peppers. We don't get bushels or quarts, but it's fun to find a ready to pick cucumber or a couple of squash to add to a meal. I did make pesto for the first time and it was the most delicious recipe! It can be frozen in ice cube trays and used later, too. Great on pizzas! (Veggie, of course).
Making this quilt has rejuvenated my creative muse. Only problem is, you should see or not see, my cutting table...covered in fabrics, rulers, scissors, threads...it always takes me longer to choose the colors than to make it. I drew the designs last winter, so that helped a lot. I'm off to pick some more basil for pizza tonight.