June 15, 2007

Fabric Painting with Setacolor

Fabric painted with Setacolor Transparent Paint
Fabric detail...soon to be pears!
Wow! I had fun today! But first let me say, I had a great time in Ohio with my friends. I was there for a week and got to go to the NQA show and took classes at QSDS (Quilt Surface Design Symposium). If you ever want to be inspired in your artwork, sign up to go. While I was there, I noticed a lot of artists dyed their own fabrics. I still want to try this when I get the dyes, but being the impatient person I am, I decided to try something I have not tried before. I used PFD fabric and Setacolor transparent paint. It is so cool to see the designs appear on the fabric when it dries. I have 4 pieces drying on the deck at the moment...one is a sun print of rose leaves. First, I laid the fabric pieces on a smooth board (plexi-glass) and used a sponge brush to paint them with water. Then, I diluted the Setacolor (1 part Setacolor to 2 parts water) and used sponge brushes to dab, paint, and swirl it around until I liked the color combination. I then threw on some Kosher salt and set it in the sun to dry. If you want to make sun prints, add a few items such as leaves. Then, when dry, I brushed off the salt and heat set with a hot iron. Then I rinsed it (no colors ran) and let it dry a bit and then ironed again. I see pears! I love pears! (look for a pear quilt soon!) The fabric is so soft! I may decide I like this more than the dyeing process. (No nasty powders to inhale).
So, I am off to make dinner and think of other colors I want to use. My class at QSDS was "Color Confidence".

3 comments:

Michelle said...

These are just gorgeous, Vivian!! I am in the midst of a dyeing class - fun, but time consuming and messy. Different results. I just love these fabrics you've made and will have to do some of this myself!

Jo Raines said...

Your work is fan-tabulous! I see pears also and am just now stuffing a little pear pincushion I put together from yellow wool felt and Heather Bailey's Freshcut line! Love pears!

Joanne said...

I have just found fabric painting also! The only quilts I've made are traditional and I'm longing to branch out and make my first art quilt. People like you inspire us hesitant beginners. No one I quilt with seems to appreciate the art style that I'm hoping to explore. Therefore, I look to the internet and people like you to give me the confidence to expand my horizons! Thank you for your information and enthusiam. Even my purchased Phil Beaver fabric-painting video didn't tell me what to do with the finished piece of fabric! I may investigate the QSDS for some more inspiration. Thanks again!