October 4, 2007

Landscape Quilts

Today, I started a new class, Art Quilt Exploration, with Jane LaFazio! This is an online class at Joggles.com. The first lesson is making landscape quilts! I fell in love with Jane's landscape quilts in her lesson! When I began making art quilts in 2003, I made the quilt pictured here, "In Control". It was actually my first real art quilt and I loved making the quilt. It did get the honor of hanging in a few galleries. It wasn't meant to be a landscape quilt, just an abstract of the earth. Then, today, I realized I have had a framed landscape quilt hanging on my wall that I did in the early 1990's. It was my first time to do any improvisational cutting, stitching and machine embroidery. So, I think I have always had a love for landscape type quilts and didn't realize it. I am so excited to take a class from Jane as I really admire her work and knowledge. I can't wait to learn more from her...my enthusiasm is back! I have already started on my first landscape for the lesson. Yippee! I'm going to do hand stitching! OK, friends who know me, don't faint after reading this! After reading Jane's first lesson, I think I will definitely give the hand work a try!

(Here are the pictures of the quilts I made several years ago.)

"In Control"

(my first real art quilt made in 2003)


This is the framed landscape quilt I did in the 1990s.

Below is a close-up shot. It is a really small quilt. You can tell it was my first attempt at free-motion embroidery...my trees are swaying.

4 comments:

Susan Lenz said...

Hi!
You're going to LOVE hand stitching. It can be one of the most relaxing things in anyone's day. It makes sporting events on television totally enjoyable. My husband and I actually watch college football together...I can always tell by the loud cheering that's it's time to look up for the instant re-play...He actually thinks I care, love, and look forward to football! It is nice time together and lots of lovely stitches just fall into place. Just think of it this way...it is an art form one can do on a bus, in a car, on a plane, waiting in line, while watching television, without electricity, and can carry in a ziploc bag inside a small purse. What could be better! I hope you like it as much as I do! Good luck. I'll look forward to seeing your results!
Susan

Jane LaFazio said...

Hey, thanks for the plug! I'm thrilled that you're excited about the class. Love your earth/abstract/landscape quilt. And I must agree with Susan, hand-stitching is meditative and addicting and such pleasure. hope you enjoy it.

Vicki W said...

I can't wait to hear about your class and see what you do in it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Vivi!! I'm signed up for the smae class!! Havn't signed into the chat room yet. Here we go taking another class together! Great minds think alike.
Suziloo