April 28, 2008

Deck Gardening









Some of you asked about my deck garden, well, here it is. I am a believer that you can grow anything in a container given the right soil, proper amount of watering and good drainage in your pots. This is just the beginning as you can see. Most of the plants are just seedlings. I try to use the best potting soil. I don't use Garden soil...just doesn't work well in pots. Always drill extra holes in the bottom or sides. Now, I hope this year's garden makes me look good after saying all this! I do have a really large deck, so that helps. I also have a potted Crepe Myrtle that gives us pretty blooms in the summer. There are containers of herbs and containers not yet planted due to the rain. On the side against the house, I have an old wrought iron bread rack that hasn't received it's little plants, yet. And, I haven't touched the patio downstairs, yet. Good thing we have a nice nursery and Home Depot nearby. Good thing it's raining so I can work on my art inside. : )

3 comments:

Paddy's Daughter said...

Looking forward to seeing a mass of colour and piles of yummy produce!

Susan Lenz said...

Hi!
I've just spent the best time reading your blog. Spring is such a busy time of the year that I've fallen behind in my blog reading....so....let me just say that I really enjoyed your perfect and exciting explanation about carving stamps. I've often seen the block and tools at the local art supply store and wondered how to use them, if it were terribly difficult, and if it would be fun. Your post makes me want to try! I also love your new ATCs, the photos of DC in the spring, your cute pup, and the gardening shots. Thanks so much for sharing!
Susan

Cheryl L said...

Hi Vivian,

I really enjoyed looking at all your deck plants. I wish I could do that, but unfortunately all my attempts at patio gardening have been destroyed by the deer. They just stroll right onto the patio and munch away. It's sooooo frustrating. I can't wait to see what all you harvest from your garden. Take care!
Cheryl