May 30, 2008

Landscape Quilt

On The Way
I finally got it out of my basket (it's a large basket) of unfinished quilts. All it needed was to be appliqued, quilted and binding added. I decided to use different quilting designs for each hill (or mountain). I think this piece depended on the quilting to give it life. Now, I love it! It's a small quilt, only 8" x 9", but it has a big impact. I am calling it "On The Way" because it reminded me of the mountains we use to see when we traveled to the beach from Ohio. Once we got through the mountains, I felt like we were finally on our way to my favorite place. After I quilted it, I discovered it had another meaning for me and that is I think I finally feel like I am on my way to discovering what I'm suppose to be doing in my art work. It seems I have been at the start of my journey for a long time. I keep trying out new ideas, taking classes, reading lots and always waiting for the right moment or time to come along. Waiting for that right moment has kept me from moving onward toward my goals. Of course, taking classes, and discovering new techniques have all helped me and I will continue that. But I have been using them for an excuse to "stay in my mountains" and not move forward toward my goal. At some point, you have to step on the gas and see where the road takes you. Hopefully, it will take me to the beach. : )

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this one.
Sounds like you got a huge reward for pulling this out of the basket. Best of Luck with your new direction.

Rachel Murphree said...

It's lovely...so full of life and possibilities. Steadily forward now!

Matt said...

Mom -- your artwork is beautiful just like you. I've seen you really develop as an artist over the years. I'm lucky to have such an amazing mom! Make sure you follow those dreams because a talent like yours needs to be shared with the world...
Love you,
Matt

Susan Lenz said...

Hi!
I've been browsing through your blog and must have missed that wonderful post about your journal quilt that included the photo of you and your mother. It is a lovely piece enhanced by your writing. I also really liked the post about the "believe" pear. Just the idea of using a photo as a stencil is brilliant; but, you went on to show how using canvas allowed both paint and stitch....plus the piece is great! I also think your landscape quilt is a real hit. Thanks so much for sharing!
Susan

Vivian said...

Thank you for the wonderfully inspiring comments! It means so much to me.

Faye said...

Vivian, this is so gorgeous. You are really talented. And you have such a supportive son.