November 16, 2006

Quilt To Be and views of DC...

This is a picture of a quilt I made at NQA in a Melody Johnson workshop. Actually, it is a quilt-to-be as in "not quilted" yet. It is all fused using her hand dyed fabrics. Today, I will work on completing this. It has been hanging on my bulletin board for a long time. You know how you get use to things and don't "see" them after a while? When I moved, I took it off and just hung it again on my bulletin board. I have recently rediscovered it and now it will be quilted.

This weekend, we took the metro to DC for a day trip. We saw the most amazing exhibit at the Freer/Sackler galleries of the Smithsonian. It is called "In the Beginning: Bibles Before the year 1000". It was so awesome to see the ancient manuscripts! We even got to see one of the Dead Sea Scrolls! Some of the manuscripts were so ornately written, with lots of embellished lettering and drawings with gold that we were overwhelmed when we saw them. You just have to see it to believe it. Some were just bits and pieces of papyrus, parchment and some on wood. Here is the link to the exhibit: In The Beginning and if you are in the DC area, it is well worth the visit. Just seeing the artwork created by the scribes gave me ideas for my journaling pages. My brain was whirling.

Being Veteran's Day, we also went to see some of the memorials.

This is me squinting with the sun in my eyes and standing in front of the reflecting pool.


This is a picture of Vern getting an up close view of....


The Washington Monument

A nice view from the mall area.

Another nice view from one end of the reflecting pool

The Korean War Memorial

Although it was crowded, we enjoyed the day. It is always nice to see the Veterans among the crowd of people. Thanks to all the men and women and their families who sacrifice for our freedom.

No comments: