September 11, 2011

9/11 Quilt

This is my 9/11 quilt, "Spirits Rising".  My online quilt group, Fiber Artists for Hope, decided to create quilts in remembrance of 9/11.  The size is appropriately 9"x11".  "Spirits Rising" is currently being exhibited in Chicago as part of the "Reflections on September 11, a Decade Later" exhibition.  Here is my artist statement:   
"As I watched television and saw the twin towers fall on September 11, 2001, my heart ached for the many lives lost.  The quilted, shiny lines on my quilt represent the spirits of the people who died that day.  Out of the debris, their spirits rose up in shining glory to be comforted by God.  The spirit of our country also rose up that day in unity."


2 comments:

Susan Nash said...

both emotionally beautiful and phyically beautiful!! thanks for sharing. was it a coincidence that the size is 9-11?

Vivian said...

Thanks, Susan. We planned the size so they are all 9"x11".