March 6, 2007

National Women's History Month


I have just discovered that the entire month of March is National Women's History Month! Here is a website with great statistics. It started as a protest of factory working conditions in 1857. In 1909, it was observed as a day. It took Congress until 1987 to establish it for the entire month of March. If you take a look at the website, you might be shocked. For instance, in 2005, the median earned income for a woman working full time, year round, was $32,168. She only earned $.77 for every $1 a man earned. Back in 1967, I remember my mother, a widow, earned $60 a week working full time, year round, and late into the night. She also raised two dependent children on this amount. But she always managed, taking in extra jobs to help support us but it was very hard on her health. I know my mom's work experience doesn't have anything to do with the statistics but it makes me appreciate women who have her tenacity.
I just had to post this picture of Annie Oakley, my childhood hero. When I was small, I use to dress up in jeans, jeans jacket, holster with guns, cowgirl hat, ponytail and boots. I also told everyone that I was Annie Oakley's daughter and visiting my aunt (my mom). I embellished it with tales of living on a ranch in California. Yep, that's what TV did for me as a kid!
Kudos to all the women in our lives who have influenced us one way or another!

No comments: