March 31, 2009

Canvas & Cherry Blossoms

Cherry Blossoms in DC

I finished quilting my Ladder pieces and mounted them to painted stretched canvas. Above is one of the first pieces I mounted to canvas. It is always hard to see the canvas with a front shot, so I shot this one a bit skewed so you can see the side. This is such a small piece, that I think it looks better on the canvas...I always worry that what if in the future someone thinks it is a "pretty potholder"?! So, canvas it is...but I still haven't named it.




This is what I used for the canvas...readily available in art supply stores everywhere. First, I brushed on a coat of gesso and let it dry. Then, I used Golden and inexpensive acrylics mixed to achieve one of the colors (or close to it) in the little quilts. Below, I painted it on the canvas. I realized I didn't have to cover all of it...just the edges and part of the front. I used my heat gun (careful...it can burn) to hasten the drying process. I think it took several coats of the acrylic to cover well.


Painted canvas, drying.

After the canvas dried, I used invisible thread to stitch in various places through the canvas and the the little quilts. This is the hardest part...I really hate to use glue on them, but if I can't find a better way...anyone know a better way?

Here they are finished...The Ladders...hanging on my design wall



Cherry Blossoms 2009

On Saturday, we hopped on the metro and spent the day in downtown DC. We first went to the National Archives where we saw The Constitution, The Bill of Rights, The Declaration of Independence and various other historical documents and exhibits. Then, we went to the National Gallery of Art for lunch. There we saw the Small French Paintings exhibit and a magnificent special exhibit called Heaven on Earth which is all Illuminations. Very cool to see! We decided to walk over to the river basin to see the Cherry Blossom festival since it started that day. Did I fail to mention that the day was dreary, rainy and overcast most of the day?

The Washington Monument with cherry trees in the foreground


The blossoms were not as magnificent as last year. But nice to not have the large crowd, too.

The Jefferson Memorial

Love was in the Air

Can you see the female duck? She almost blends in with the ground. Her hubby was waiting patiently while she chose the best worms and played in the water. (Kind of like my hubby waiting for me while I'm in the fabric store or yarn shop.)


4 comments:

Kay said...

It must be a pain to sew through the canvas! I mounted a piece on foam core for framing and that was bad enough. I'm so glad you didn't glue them though. I read someone's blog who did this, and I think it's a mistake. It's a beautiful little piece, by the way.

McIrish Annie said...

the ladders look fabulous stretched on canvas.

Susan Nash said...

LOVE the ladders!! That is a neat way to display!

Anonymous said...

I have used wonder under to attach a fabric piece to matte board.. I think it would work with canvas too. I just put it on the back of the fabric and then iron it with a cloth over it. The glue melts and it sticks really well.. I really like how they look on the canvas....